The club was formed in 1957 and is wholly operated and managed by the membership. Over the years the club has been the home to most types of sailing dinghy or catamaran. All dinghies are welcome, however the current dominant fleets are Toppers, RS Fevas, Wayfarers, Lasers, Phantoms, RS400s, and Hobie 16s.
The club is situated on the south side of the river Tyne adjacent to the Groyne at Littlehaven beach.
The clubhouse has continued to be developed over the years and now provides members with excellent facilities including:-
A large lounge / function room with a licensed bar located upstairs
Upstairs & downstairs changing facilities with a plentiful supply of hot water showers
A training classroom with overhead projector, suitable for internal & external courses
Disabled facilities including changing room and lift to provide access to all floors
A kitchen / galley with a wet seating area to allow refreshments to be consumed without the need to change out of sailing gear
Secure garages used to store the safety boats and maintenance equipment, as well as the club tractor used to launch the safety boats
Club dinghies available for hire to members (two man and single handed)
The public concrete launch ramp provides members with sheltered launching facilities with direct access to the sailing area within the Tyne Harbour, and the larger area of Marsden and Cullercoats bays beyond the piers.
Either side of the launch ramp the club has two compounds which provide members and visitors with secure locked storage for their boats. The South Tyneside Council Water Activity Centre also shares the east compound.
In recent years the club has successfully hosted national and regional championships, and is regularly used by the regional RYA for instructor training and events.
The 3rd South Shields Sea Scouts are also affiliated with the club providing youngsters the opportunity to start sailing from an early age.